Does the Smashbox X-Rated mascara burn your eyes too?

s1811918-main-hero

I’ve been holding off on reviewing this mascara for a while because I didn’t want to be unnecessarily negative about a product and also because I thought maybe (like most things) I was exaggerating!

But after my mum borrowed the mascara from my room this morning and screamed at how much her eyes were burning I knew it was time to put this out there so that anyone thinking about purchasing knows what to expect if they proceed to take the risk.

Priced at around £20 the Smashbox X-Rated mascara isn’t cheap at all. I was encouraged to buy it after watching MakeupShayla on snapchat use it on a number of occasions. I like the effect the mascara had on eyelashes and I envisaged it becoming my go to mascara for a night out.

Well it has become my go to mascara for nights out but I have to be very cautious when applying it because it has the potential to completely ruin my makeup and leave me with panda eyes. If this mascara touches any area of your eye that isn’t your eyelash the burn is unreal, and you should be ready to expect uncontrollable tears which will be sure to completely ruin your eyeshadow and contour situation.

panda-eyes

What I really want to know is whether this is a universal experience for everyone who has purchased the mascara, or do people in my family have sensitive eyes? Or did I just happen to get a bad batch?

Please let me know in the comments section xo

Prinny Rae x

TWITTER – @PRINNYRAE
INSTAGRAM – @PRINNYRAE

8 Comments

1. Jodi
    November 5, 2016 / 10:35 pm

Burned my eyes so badly I couldn’t open them!! Tears were pouring. Had to wipe it off. Terrible!!!!

2. Mandi
    February 14, 2017 / 2:42 am

I know im late to comment on this but I wanted to say that it burns horribly!!! I wanted to like it but I can’t get past the pain…and the ruined makeup! Oh and I don’t care for the brush much either…it is sloppy and doesn’t keep its shape. Sorry Smashbox!!

3. nes.
    April 6, 2017 / 1:13 am

burns like crazy if product gets into my eye at all. I thought it was basic allergies at first, but I realize it’s the mascara. if I wear it, my eyes are bloodshot within 30 min. I changed to another smashbox mascara recently (it’s a silver tube, I forget the name) and it’s doing the same thing. plus, they’re both hard to remove, even with Lancôme eye makeup remover, which has never failed me before. the formula is also really wet at first then turns kinda sticky after wearing it for a while or after a retouch coat. I live in a very rainy city, so I don’t know if it’s a weather thing – but I def will never buy smashbox mascaras again!

4. Celine Hernandez
    June 7, 2017 / 8:59 am

I knkw this is a late comment but it burned my eyes like crazy too. I thought this was wierd bc imy eyes and skin are in no way sensitive. My cousin,who loves the mascara results admits that if she isnt careful she feels the burn too. While i like the results i gotta say that awful firey burning is not worht it.

5. Mira
    September 13, 2017 / 7:15 am

Omg. So it’s not only me. Yes it burn the eye it has alcohol In it that’s why.

• shortgirlsstyle
      January 10, 2018 / 10:30 pm

Omg. It’s interesting to find out that is in the ingredients. Definitely makes a lot of sense!

6. Victoria Nazario
    May 21, 2018 / 2:18 am

I think this is how I got my actual eye ball burned!!!! Spent night at ER getting it flushed and numbed. Dr asked how I did it, the only thing that was on or close to my eye was this mascara